KNRM

Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Wide Open Atlantic

That was a FANTASTIC day of Sailing through the Channel, YESTERDAY, I mean.


Sailing just before Dover in a 200+ place at my day-break, I turned West and gained already some places. The Channel with a strong  Easterly wind that was strongest in the middle 5-8 Nm, made it favourable to make regular jibes. So I was buzy jibing and even sometimes, depending on wind strength changing a sail here and there . This brought my at the early evening depending on my jibe (port or starboard) to a 33-56th place. 


After passing the longitude of Plymouth , however, the wind veered to the south and then you will have found out how less effective these boats can sail in upwind heading. 
A wind forecast review showed me more southerly winds along the Portuguese coast to come of weak to moderate strength. So looking further to the West on the Atlantic stronger and more favourable westerly winds are expected. 
So I decided to sail west towards the better winds and hope these forecasts sustain and I will enjoy speedy sailing in a good day from now in Southerly directions. 
I hope , I am right which will give me a better chance on the Podium and if not well I will have lost a lot of places. 


It is obvious that the better ranked boats in this moment are sailing the Bay of Biscay, but will they stick ?


My place this morning was 425th ; the fleet has grown to 1012 participating boats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment